Friday, May 20, 2005

Journal 5/20/05

As I contemplate on the mercies and grace of God in my own life, I am overwhelmed with a passion for people who are like me, people who are sinners as I am. As I see the wretchedness of my own heart and as I reminisce of all the places my wicked heart has taken me; I get a sense and understanding of where unbelieving people are in their heart of hearts. Even as a believer for many years now, I have struggled with a life of defeat, a life is discouragement and hopelessness. In the height of the desperation of the agony of my soul; one thing got me through. Only one person was able to transform me. My life of despair and grief was exchanged and transformed by the person of Jesus Christ. As I went through the Word of God, it brought me to the person of Jesus and He took me to the Father where I received strength in my weariness. I received mercy in my time of need (Hebrews 4:15-16). It wasn’t that I had this great faith in God but the little faith that I had was placed in a GREAT GOD.
This is what I desire. I desire more than anything to go into the throne room of grace, into the throne room of the King of kings. I desire to go into that special place in my heart of hearts where Jesus can minister to me. I desire Jesus.
In Mathew 17:1-8 there is an incredible story. Jesus brings Peter, James and John up to a high mountain where Jesus is transfigured before their eyes. Moses and Elijah show up as well. So you have Moses who represents the Law and you have Elijah who represents the Prophets (The Old Testament) there with the Christ, the Messiah. As Moses, Elijah, and Jesus dialog about the upcoming events in Jerusalem; mainly the cross that Jesus had to bear and His death (Luke 9:31), a cloud overtakes them and the apostles see no one. Fear grips their hearts as they hear the Father say, “This is My Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!”
The apostles are so scared that they fall onto their faces. Something happens at this point which is extremely simple, yet at the same time very powerful. Jesus comes to them and touches them. Jesus speaks to them and says, “Arise, do not be afraid.” And when the apostles lift up their eyes, they see no one but Jesus only.
My point is this: Moses was gone. Elijah had disappeared. What the law and the prophets failed to do, Jesus did. The law couldn’t bring comfort to the despairing apostles, it brought fear, but not comfort. The prophets could not help them either…it was Jesus alone who spoke the words of comfort that the apostles needed. It was the touch of Jesus that got the apostles through that terrifying experience. The law and the prophets cannot bring us what we need; they only testify of the One we need, Jesus (Romans 3:21-22).
I want this touch of Jesus. I want to bring this touch of Jesus to nonbelievers too. So in doing that, I have to use the law and the prophets as they testify of who Jesus is. I believe that as we enter into His presence through worship and the Word of God, I believe it is at this point that Jesus can come to us and to those who do not know Him yet and touch both them and us as a people. It is at this point that Jesus can come and heal us and restore us. This is what true worship is about. It’s about Him, the Savior of our soul. It's about His passion for us. He loves us because He loves us. Let us be a people who bring those souls of the world into direct contact with the Savior of the world. It’s not just about getting into the Word of God; but it’s about going through the Word of God until we come into contact with Jesus, the Healer of our soul. And once we do, we can never be the same. So my challenge is to meet with Him and allow Him to take my life and make it His. If we are willing to travel upon this road of intimacy with Jesus, we will never be the same. How can we be?