Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Journal 4/17/07

With the Virginia Tech Massacre on the front pages of the news I wanted to stop for a moment and ponder this horrible tragedy. When things like this happen and lives are cut short it really breaks my heart knowing that God's orginal creation was not meant to be this way. Sin is so devistating as we all can see from the front pages of the newspapers. How I can't wait until the day that the curse will be reversed and sin is finally judged once and for all.

And yet as I say this in my heart I look inside and see my sin and then fear grips me as I don't want to stand before the Lord and give an account for all the things that I have done wrong. My heart is going in every direction right now. I know that Jesus has redeemed me, yet my emotions are still all over the place.

As I go back to thinking about Adam and Eve in the Garden, when they blew it they had no idea what the result would be. There son was a murderer. He killed his own brother. And that tragedy, that same sin has gone on all through the ages where it culminates in today's headlines that 32 were slain and another took his own life.

What this does to me is it causes me to see the urgency of telling people about Jesus. The reality is that all 33 of those people are in eternity. I do not know who were or were not Christians out of that group, but all of them are in eternity and that could be a blessing or it could be a scary thing. I wonder how many of them woke up that morning thinking that they would be in eternity that day? Probably not many of them. Probably none of them. And yet reality hits and there they are in eternity. They are either with the Lord or they are in hell. My prayer is that they are with the Lord.

Father,

Teach me to number my days. I don't know how much time I have left or how much time my friends and family have left. Please use me for your glory. Help me to get the good news out that you made a way for people to not go to hell. Time is short and we do not have much time left. Please use me as a light for your glory.

Please bring comfort to the families that have suffered this horrible tragedy. Please use this nightmare to cause those who don't know you to think about eternity and to get right with their Creator, You. In Jesus name I pray....

Amen