Friday, April 20, 2007

Journal 4/20/07

So many times we lose sight of the big picture. I am so guilty of being a man who gets lost in the details and I completely lose sight of the goal. Am I in the race to win? Or am I just running in circles? Am I running at all? The Apostle Paul said that he had finished his race and how I want to be a man who can say those very words as well. I desire to finish the race that the Lord has set before me.

Too often I get distracted by other things that I forget that I am in a race. I want to run in a way that causes me to soar. I have been contemplating life these last couple of days. We really have no idea when our time will be up. Today could be the last day we have on this planet. We may only have one more hour to live. We simply do not know. And how I want to be right with my Creator and how I want to be found doing what is right when my number is up and it is time for me to leave my pilgrimage and head home.

One of the last words of one of the victims sent in an email before she died in the Virginia Tech Massacre was:

Don’t let the wind blow you away…..

These words haunt me. Am I being blown away by the whirlwind? Am I like chaff that the wind blows away. Am I like a flower that springs up but has no root and when the sun comes out it scorches me and I am blown away by the wind? Or will I be a man who trusts in the Lord and OBEYS him even in the midst of adversity? Will the wind blow me away? The wind blew 32 people away at Virginia Tech. They did not know that their number was up. One knew, that horrible wicked man who took the lives of these people. But the other 32 did not wake up knowing that they only had a few hours left on this side of eternity.

Perspective. I wonder what they would have done differently if they knew they only had moments left until their journey was over. Because who knows, your journey or mine could end at any moment. What would you do differently if you were to die in 1 hour? May I challenge you to do those very things. Do the things that matter. It has been said that if it doesn’t matter 1000 years from now then it doesn’t matter at all. That is so true. That is looking at the big picture. If it wont matter in eternity then it doesn’t matter.

Are you distracted? I am. Are you running the race? If not let’s join hands and run together. We only have one shot in this life and then its over. Run, Run, RUN the race! Don’t just run the race to get to the finish line, but run to win the race!

Don’t let the wind blow you away…..