Monday, August 29, 2005

When Darkness Surrounds Me (Psalm 40:1-3)

The Darkest place is where I've been
I saw no grace, only my sin
The sun was gone, my eyes were blind
Out of this pit, I could not climb

Terror, fear and hopelessness
made their home within my chest
Pain and grief and suffering
Took their hold and captured me

But God is bigger than all this
As He dwells in faithfulness
His Spirit which lives inside me
Broke this stronghold and set me free.

As I suffered, as I cried
The Lord looked in at my demise
Infliction was upon my soul
The love of God then took hold

I see God high and lifted up
His grace abounds and fills me up
So from this pit I start to cry
As my tears flood into the sky

Compassion, Mercy, Grace and Peace
The floodgates of Heaven release
They come upon me in this hole
God's lovingkindness fills my soul

I see the darkness start to fade
As God's light comes to my aide
I feel a strong hand embrace me
As the stronghold starts to flee

My spirit's shattered, my life is scarred
My flesh is weak, my heart is hard
These are the fruits from within the pit
God's loving light has revealed it

So now I stand here as a man
Not in the pit but on dry land
The darkness forever changed me
I'm not the same how can I be?

The past behind me is now a blur
I now can feel God's Spirit stir
I don't know where I am to go
But in time I'm sure to know

So I pledge right here, right now
These words I write are now a vow
I will give my all for just One cause
I will forever follow Jesus!!!

Bill Scott, Sr.