Thursday, September 29, 2005

Proverbs Nine

Wisdom has now built her house
With seven pillars, all hewn out
She has slaughtered all her meats
She’s mixed her wine; prepared her feast

The tables’ set, the food is done
She’s sent her maidens their works begun
She cries out, from the highest place
Come eat with me, hurry, don't wait

Whoever’s simple; lend me your ear
Don’t understand... then turn in here
For I have, prepared my bread
I’ve mixed my wine; let’s eat, she said!

Forsake your foolishness and live
Understanding is what I will give
A scoffer you cannot correct
Your words of life he will reject

A wicked man, do not rebuke
You’ll harm yourself; and he’ll hate you
Rebuke a wise man for he will receive
Give him instruction and he will heed

Teach a just man, and you, he’ll love
He’ll increase in learning from above
The fear of God, is wisdom, you see
Knowledge of Him is understanding

For I, Wisdom, to you will add
Years to your life; rejoice, be glad
If you are wise, great seeds are sown
But if you scoff, you’re on your own

A foolish woman’s loud and brass
Her words are vain; her actions rash
For she sits outside her house
Near the high place where she shouts out

She calls to those who pass on by
The simple hear and buy her lie
To those who do not understand
They turn aside; give her their hand

She tells them stolen waters sweet
Bread in secret is what you should eat
But they don’t know the dead are there
And the depths of hell shall be their share!